Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Homeschooling

I bet you are wondering what happened to relationships part deux.  It is coming, but I seem to be suffering from brain constipation.  Someday it will opt to come out.  Promise. 

I homeschooled One this year.  I thought it went okay.  Not as well as I would have hoped.  But it was our first year, I was pregnant or caring for a newborn, so in all actuality, it went off swimmingly.  He retook his placement test for the full time gifted program, and passed.  Instead of waiting for next year, he opted to go back immediately.  What followed was a couple whirlwind days of trips to the school, the board of education, to an assessor to close out our homeschool year, and back to the school and b of e. 

I have to say I am not a big fan of the immediate changes that followed.   He almost immediately after passing the test went back to being "hard of hearing" when I ask for help - and this was before even starting!  I have chalked that up to just being so much more "in his head" thinking about it.  Since he started, he has been getting less sleep, which means he has been even more "in his head".  Soccer games have been painful to watch since he has been there in body, but not in mind.  He has managed to lose at least  one half of 3 or 4 pairs of shoes.  And he is quick to tear up when something upsets him - no matter how minor. 

And I am left feeling like I do every September - that school has somehow stolen the best of my kids from me.  But this is his journey, and returning to school is his decision. 

In the meantime I will look forward to 16 days from now when I get all of them back for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment